Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy
Our COAMFTE-accredited program meets educational standards while also meeting your needs.
When you decide to earn your Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) degree online at Northcentral University, you are giving yourself the opportunity to complete a rigorous graduate degree without disrupting your personal or professional life. Our MAMFT programs is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE), and is focused on helping you develop the skills and personal and professional growth needed for effective practice in the field of marriage and family therapy.
Upon completion of the program, you will be prepared to pursue therapeutic and educational work in a variety of settings, including mental health centers, public service agencies, correctional institutions, industry, medical settings, and private practice. You will also be well prepared to begin the process of seeking licensure in your home state or area. In addition to the standard 45 credit hour program, we offer a 60-credit California licensure track option.
Discover the benefits of an accredited, distance-based Marriage and Family Therapy Master's degree from Northcentral University:
- Rigorous Coursework and Training:Our courses are designed to follow the educational guidelines set by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT). The Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy Program at Northcentral University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314, Tel. No. (703) 838-9808. NCU’s MAMFT program is the first online MFT program to receive accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE).
- 100% Doctoral Faculty: Not only do our faculty members know what it takes to complete a graduate degree program, but they are also actively practicing Marriage and Family Therapists and MFT supervisors, which makes them superiorly qualified to provide you with valuable feedback and support.
- Comprehensive Clinical Programs: Our clinical programs are designed help you meet state licensure requirements.
- Competitive Tuition: Visit our Tuition page for current, inclusive program rates.
- Online Programs: With no physical residency requirements and online programs, you are never required to travel to a campus for your courses. Rather, you are able to complete the required courses in a distance-based format and with face-to-face clinical experience supported by a qualified, program-approved supervisor in your local area.
Northcentral University's Marriage and Family Therapy Master's degree program will prepare you for therapeutic and educational work in the field through an integrated learning experience that includes:
- Specific training in every course that includes a purposeful focus on the practice and profession of marriage and family therapy
- Courses facilitated by highly educated faculty who are also MFT practitioners
- Required direct client contact and supervision
Your Supervised Clinical Work Can Be Completed within Your Local Area
At Northcentral University, the faculty and your Academic Advisor will work with you to arrange a local clinical site at which you will complete your required face-to-face clinical training. We will provide suggestions and assistance in finding a local placement site and qualified supervisor in your area. It is ultimately your responsibility to secure an acceptable placement. Once you are approved to begin your clinical work, in addition to your local supervised experience, you will work with a Northcentral faculty member who is an AAMFT-approved supervisor or Supervisor-in-Training using our distance-based supervision process. Your sessions with clients are recorded, then viewed and reviewed in individual and/or group supervision via Internet video conferencing. Security features are utilized to maintain confidentiality and security of client records and to meet HIPAA regulations.