Private Practice


If your goal is licensure, then you will need to review your local licensure requirements to determine if a program offered at Northcentral will satisfy your local licensure requirements. It is the sole responsibility of the Student to make this determination.

If you intend to move prior to graduation (or shortly thereafter):
Review the requirements for the area where you plan to live - they may differ from the requirements of your current location!

MFT licensure:
Visit the Directory of MFT Licensure and Certification Boards and read through all of the requirements for licensure that apply to your location.

Other Licensure:
Review the requirements for the licensure or credentialing process in your local area (e.g., to be a Mental Health Counselor, Human Service Counselor, Psychologist, Psychologist Assistant, Therapist, Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor, etc.). All states will have websites to assist you; you will need to find the regulations governing the license or certificate that you are interested in pursuing.

Questions you will want to ask while doing your research include:

  • How many credits are required?
  • What specific courses are required?
  • How many hours of post-degree client contact are required?
  • What are the required qualifications for your supervisor of your post-degree clinical experience?
  • Do you have to take the national licensing exam?
  • Is the exam taken before or after the post-degree clinical experience?
  • Are there any other requirements?

Note: Northcentral does not hold any of the following accreditations: COAMFTE, CACREP, APA and no part of any program includes an on-campus residency. All Northcentral programs are online. Completion of the Marriage and Family Therapy degree programs requires active clinical experience in your local area, which is supported through online supervision with the  Northcentral MFT faculty.